Friday, January 19, 2007

Get Up Offa That Thing!

I’ve been editing and burning my voluminous VHS collection onto DVD, and in my case it’s a myriad collection of arts documentaries from the 1980’s. Late night re-enactment of the 'foetus earrings' trial anyone? Watch the KLF burn a million quid? We got’em!

One of the most fascinating was a sixtieth birthday retrospective of James Brown, who sadly died in December of last year, leaving a big, in fact a monumental, Godfather shaped hole in music. The programme was full of extraordinary clips of the original funkster writing, rehearsing, and performing; always in the most horrendously fashionable threads.

I don’t yet have the skills to post direct from my own video collection [just you wait!] but while trawling YouTube last night I found this stunning clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1w0syylZI

Need to get that uploading thing sorted too!

Get Up Offa That Thing was written in 1976, by which time James Brown was in his mid-forties. He invented soul; now he’s inventing disco. He’s back, he’s working hard, and he’s taking you to the bridge. To paraphrase Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now – I did it when I was half his age and it nearly killed me. Curiously this cut is shot largely from the band’s point of view; so you get to see the tiny hand movements and hear the vocal ticks that Brown used to keep his musicians in line. Hup means one thing; Goo’god means another. It is without doubt the tightest two minutes of funky soul I have ever seen.

Can I count it off?

Andrew Mishmash

6 comments:

Ilse in Brighton said...

You boogie monster, you.

Would LOVE to see the KLF thing, one of the century's most aw-inspiring art pieces. YouTube it up soonest...

Ilse in Brighton said...

Last night, Friday, while on our way to Anthony & Cleopatra at the Novello, a "security scare" forced us to get off the Tube at St James.... we went sadly to the dark shop and pressed our noses up against the glass, looking at the standed books inside.

We were joined by a nicely dressed middle aged woman.. "Did you hear?" I asked. "The landlord raised their rent and threw them out without negotiating". "Oh ! she said - "I WONDERED what had happened..."

You should fly-post a big notice on the shop window, telling your story, and give the URL for this Blog! You may get a lot of support....

Dave said...

Hi Drew and also Ilse in Brighton!

We've given up our shop (Watch Op) in St James too - after just 4 months!!!

Sadly ours was not just falling customers but failing health - I'm going back to SA (and my medical insurance) to Get Sorted. Then, hopefully, One Will Return To These Shores.

All the best for the future!

Keep blogging!

Dave said...

Oh wow!

Just seen that my blog is on your "Sites We Like" list!

I am truly honoured!

Thank you sir!

Anonymous said...

buy valium much does valium cost street - side effects for valium 5mg

Anonymous said...

http://www.achildsplace.org/banners/tramadolonline/#3087 buy tramadol online mastercard overnight - buy tramadol without prescriptions