Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Top Ten Scottish Singles.


I discovered the fan-dabi-dozi Scottish pop website The Great Jock n Roll Single not so long ago, and they asked me to submit my top ten Scottish singles for general ridicule.

So, resisting the temptation to add spurious and trivial comments throughout, here it is.

Simple Minds – Changeling [1980]
APB – Danceability [1984]
The River Detectives – Chains [1989]
The Proclaimers – Throw The ‘R’ Away [1987] *
Travis – Why Does It Always Rain On Me? [1999]
Altered Images – Happy Birthday [1981]
Big Country – Fields Of Fire [1983] **
Primal Scream – Loaded [1990]
The Jesus and Mary Chain – Upside Down [1984]
Cocteau Twins – The Spangle Maker [1984]

Bubbling Under – Two Helens/Aztec Camera/Orange Juice/Bay City Rollers

Worst Song Ever – Andy Cameron – Ally’s Tartan Army [1978]

* I maintain that this is the best opening track of any album, ever.

** I was at Big Country’s last ever gig in England, and when Stuart said goodbye and thanked us for our support over the years, I shed a tear. I cried buckets when he died.

Drew Mishmash

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wot no Teenage Fanclub?
Orange Juice?
Aztec Camera???

I played with Sam Corry of the River Detectives a coupla weeks back - he played a neat set with a great version of Prince's 'Little Red Corvette'

Andrew MishMash said...

Hello Lance

I have to admit to two shameful things for a scot;

I can't play golf
I don't get The Fannies

there it is, off my chest at last.

OJ and AC were in my bubblin' under - forgivable? I had an email from Edwyn Collins a couple of months ago, in response to a query after his health. He looks like he has had a tough time, but is on the up, and advised against reading newspapers.

Did you see my other post about scottish pop?

http://mishmashbookshop.blogspot.com/2006/11/scottisch-pop.html

I knew both Sam and Dan years ago in Glasgow, almost a whole life ago. I hope Sam was well; we're all so old nowadays.

I took a look at your MySpace; not from Ayrshire are you?

I used to drink in The Crooked Billet too, many years ago, with some strange people. I remember the trains ran above part of the back bar.

This is getting too wierd.

Drew