Friday, April 20, 2007

Free Stuff!





















A couple of weeks ago I joined a fantastic web-based group called Freecycle.

If you are like me then you no doubt have lots of stuff you will never use again, but don't want to chuck out because

a) it was expensiveat the time, or

b) your sister/mate/colleague/neighbour might need one sometime.

Freecycle links you with people who will take this clutter off your hands, and give it a grateful, recycled, home. You register for your local group, and choose between email alert or forum access. Then you get in touch with anyone offering what you want; or you can post a special request for something you need.

I've already picked a Rotel CD and amp, almost as good as my current set-up at home, that I'm keeping for a soon-to-be-announced community bookshop project. And you get to meet nice people too.

One of it's shortfalls is that you can't post photographs with your offers; so I'm trying a bit of an experiment here. The picture above is the baby buggy I want to give away. It's a MacLaren Volo, in good nick, doesn't have the sunroof but does have a rain cover. And like everything on Freecycle, it's free. I'm going to link the offer listing into here so that prospective recyclers can have a look at the buggy.

But mostly I'm encouraging you all to go out and subscribe to Freecycle today - especially those of you who live in London, you should join your boro' group and the main London group - and just have a look at the offers.

Drew Mishmash

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh... Drew... We're looking for one of these buggies as we speak...

Give me a shout!

Andrew MishMash said...

Oh Mr W if only I had known!

It went almost immediately, i'm afraid.

Join Freecycle Perth - baby equipment seems to be one of the big areas of supply.

Talk soon

Drew

Steve said...

oh it's like Craigslist.org... without the 'meet me for a quickie' section... and it's free... and you meet nice people.

But my $5 breadmaker is still serving me well and the woman that sold it to me was lovely

On an almost related subject I got into "Freeganism" (or nicking stuff from other people's bins) a couple of weeks ago. Amazing the people you meet around the back of DiAgostino's

Andrew MishMash said...

On the nail steve...

There was a brief run of articles about food from bins in the broadsheet supps last year, but I suspect they were stopped by charities who thought presenting this activity as a 'lifestyle choice' would diffuse the message that for some people it's a painful necessity.

Shops whose policy is to destroy overstocks rather than dissapoint customers are missing the point I think. We throw out way too much stuff; we've got too much stuff.

have a good day

drew

Ilse in Brighton said...

BTW, is this a sneaky way of announcing a new arrival in your life, Mr W?

Ilse in Brighton said...

You CAN post photos, by the way..check out the Albums. Don't get hooked on browsing for random free trash, though.....

Anonymous said...

interestingly there is no freecycle southwark... presumably cos everything in elephnat and castle already gets recycled.... by people climbing through your window and making off with it...