Thursday, November 23, 2006

It's Your Flag, So Fly It With Pride!

In 2003 the Scottish Parliament took some time out from it's programme of hard work to decide on the official colour for the National Flag of Scotland.

This flag, generally known as The Saltire, is the oldest in the world, and celebrates the legendary defeat of Athelstane of Anglia by King Angus of Scotland. According to the tale, Saint Andrew appeared in a dream to Angus, and assured him victory in the morrow's battle. On rising, the Scots soldiers saw the cross of Saint Andrew in the sky, confirming his promise. Since this victory the Scots have gone to battle under this banner.

A millenium later, Saltires had been getting darker in tone for some time, and, in a curious reversal of cause and effect, had almost become the mid to navy blue used in the Union Flag. The Parliament settled on a colour called Pantone 300 for the field of the flag; this was lighter than had been expected, and there was some substantial muttering among those who, perhaps, didn't know the legend.

But now that it is determined, I like it. I walk a little taller when I see the Saltire, and I like to see my flag flown in unexpected places. A few years ago I saw it, alongside a Lion Rampant, flying on someone's front lawn in Martha's Vineyard. Americans have a fine tradition of respect for their flag, and I think that as a nation waiting to be a country, we Scots are nurturing such a respect too.

Next up; The National Anthem.

Andrew Mishmash

1 comment:

ikisai said...

good to see !

know I know the pantone colour I can reproduce with pride

Nice work Drew, I'm enjoying the history lesson