Friday, November 17, 2006

Trippelganger!




I was sitting around the verandah not so long ago [in Planter's Order of course, it being a Tuesday] reading The Just So Stories, and listening to The Enigma Variations, when I was suddenly reminded of a claim put to me by my very good friend Hugh a few years ago.

Hugh's longstanding contention was that Rudyard Kipling [1865-1936], Sir Edward Elgar [1857-1934], and Lord Robert Baden-Powell [1857-1941] were not individually Britain's greatest writer, composer, and child-rearing expert; but that they were one and the same person.

His evidence was not entirely convincing though - he simply asked whether one had seen any photographs of them together. I think I vaguely recall this being called ponendo non potens in the Philosophy Department's course Deductive Logic for Beginners.

Thinking that the information super-highway might be the ideal medium for empirical testing of Hugh's quirky epistemology I took a speedy recconoitre and found that - By Jove! - he is irrefutably correct!

Andrew Mishmash

1 comment:

Dave said...

Oh I don't know - Kipling's lyrical prose is in conflict with Baden-Powell's military bent, not to mention Elgar's (I had to look him up...)

Then again, maybe his precise ordering of rhything and scan are a bit on the military style...